jueves, agosto 27, 2020

Asher Quinn (Asha) sings 'Shenandoah' from "Falling Through Time



This is my adaptation of the native American/Protestant settler folk song 'Shenandoah'. I used to love this song as a kid, but I thought it was Irish! Actually, an Irish settler took a native idea and created the song in West Virginia, in the 1800's. He fell in love with the chief's daughter. 'Shenandoah' means beautiful daughter of the stars in a native American tongue. The refrain 'away, I'm bound to go' is given a piquant added dimension when one considers that 'awae' in the native tongue means 'spirit. Many artists have covered this traditional song, notably Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and Joan Baez. Shamanic additional lyrics by Asher Quinn: "Beautiful daughter of the stars Sacred spirit in my heart Skin-drum be my long canoe That I will row and carry you Mournful bird and mountain bear River snake and prickly pear Spirits of the earth and sky Guide our children through this life Oh Shenandoah I long to hear you Close my eyes and then I'm near you Morning sun and yellow moon Smoky mountains green and blue Eagle take me to the creek Where all the mighty waters meet Darkness comes with second sight The river has both ears and eyes"

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario